Wednesday, 17 January 2007

Recent Deaths

HoNE TuwhaRE and sIr Ed



(Hone Tuwhare died age 86)

Well I know that it has been a while since I have updated and mostly it's because nothing much of interest has been happening, though we did spend a week down in Christchurch where we went on an overnight Tramp that seemed more like an overnight expedition, it was made all the worse by the fact that I had just purchased new boots, which gave me some wicked blisters so on the second day I spent 8 hrs hobbling rather than walking...overall it was a good trip, like most things in retrospect.


(Sir Edmund Hillary)

Anyway today I thought that I would do a bit of a homage to two New Zealand icons who have died lately (both in the past week) as I am at work and have no other photos to upload other that those i can find on the net.

Quote From Sir Ed

"We didn't know if it was humanly possible to reach the top of Mt. Everest. And even using oxygen as we were, if we did get to the top, we weren't at all sure whether we wouldn't drop dead or something of that nature."

Hone Tuwhare - Rain

Rain

I can hear you

making small holes

in the silence

rain

If I were deaf

the pores of my skin

would open to you

and shut

And I

should know you

by the lick of you

if I were blind

the something

special smell of you

when the sun cakes

the ground

the steady

drum-roll sound

you make

when the wind drops

But if I

should not hear

smell or feel or see

you

you would still

define me

disperse me

wash over me

rain

Hone Tuwhare

While I love this poem my favourite has to be 'Roads' but unfortunately I can't find the words for it on the net at the moment...I will keep looking and see if I can't find it. Also good news for me we get time off to go to Sir Ed's public funeral next Tuesday, so I can't complain about that, here in Hamilton they are having a big screen down in Garden place so I hope it's a nice day

8 comments:

Charlotte Rose said...

hey, love the hone poem and homeage to sir ed. About time ofr an update. its beed a while.

Gail said...

Carly, your blog is looking gorgeous. I had heard that Sir Ed had died but I didn't know about Hone. Thats a shame, another great kiwi bites the dust. I guess it's the way of humanity.
Rain was always one of my favourite poems of his. I also loved his poem about the Maori figure outside the post office in Auckland.
Happy to see an update. Grazie.

Charlotte Rose said...

Hi, CArly again. So you are going to the thing in centre place for Sir ed?

Gail said...

Hey Carly, just heard the news, Congratulations.!!

M. said...

hey, WHAT news???? :) glad to see you are alive, how was the thing for Sir Ed?... we just got a bunch of MLK stuff today. Power to the people

tom and jonelle said...

Carly I am soooo excited for you.........this is the best news........ we need to talk. I am off to hospital in the morning to welcome our third little babe so i will ring in a week or so.........untill then know that you are loved and we are thinking of you

The Cammocks said...

Hey Carly, I love the Hone poem. I have one of his books. I think his poetry is so passionate and sensual. How are you feeling Carly, still tired. I am very excited for you Carly. You are in for such a wonderful adventure. Have a good week. I love you Carly.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carly,

I think you rblog is looking really good, nice pic.